How To Reset Or Change Password At Mac Yosemite
In this article I show a method I used to change the password of admin on MacOS version 10.10 Yosemite.
The procedure is probably also for other operating systems MacOS recent; however for systems prior to this other Yosemite is best to follow my guide, ultra tested:
How To Change Password Admin On MacOS OSX
The steps below should be considered an emergency procedure to be used that is when for some reason you want to force the change a user’s password administrator and the machine is not bootable without password (password is required at boot ); It may be necessary, for example if you have forgotten your password .
However, this procedure may void the Mac keychain , costrindendovi to recreate it (you will lose all your passwords stored on your mac for each program). To recreate the keychain follow the steps at the bottom.
The procedure described here involves the following steps :
- Starting in functionality mode from single-user (SINGLE USER MODE);
- Deleting or renaming a configuration file;
- Creating new temporary user with Administrator privileges;
- Access to the new party Director;
- Reset user passwords original;
- Restart and delete user’s temporary.
- Possible restoration keychain.
A premise on the keyboard in terminal mode in Single User Mode, the keyboard is automatically set in the US, so some keys do not produce the whitespace character normally associated with that key.
– To key ‘-‘ (hyphen) must press with ‘?’ (Exclamation point);
– To type ‘/’ (slash) we press the button at the lower right with “_” (sottotratto / underscore).
We are ready? Here’s how to reset the password for the Administrator on MacOS Yosemite 10.10.x
We access to the first single-user mode (SINGLE USER MODE).
- Shut down your Mac entirely without restart (power off);
- Use your left hand to hold down the ‘Apple’ (or ‘control’ or ‘CMD’ button to the left of the ‘Space’) on the keyboard while pressing the letter ‘S’ . Press and hold both and not release them until the next step.
- Turn on the computer, making sure to keep still holding down the ‘ CMD ‘and’ S ‘ .
- Wait until you see white letters on a black screen scroll: now we can release the keys are in SINGLE USER mode MDE.The Mac is ready to continue when you see the word localhost: / root # (prompt) or something like the last line on the screen.
Check that there are no errors on the disk.
Now one of the steps plan to make a fsck check that a drive to correct any errors in the file system. The operation is not invasive and does not make substantial changes to the file system, but you’ll want to check for any hidden problems that could worsen the situation. Sometimes it can take several minutes, so be patient.
Immediately after the last line of the screen we type #
fsck fy and press [Enter];
When the process is finished (about two or three minutes) we will see again the prompt localhost: / root #.
Mount the disk in order to make changes to the file:
As we need to change a system file called ” .AppleSetupDone “we have to activate the HDD main to be able ‘see’. This is called ‘mount’ (assembly). To complete it at the prompt, we type
mount -uw / and press [Enter].
Deleting or renaming of a configuration file:
The trick is to rename a file that contains a boot configuration: in this way inganneremo the operating system believe that the system is first set up, and then we will set some parameters including a new administrator user.
Q uesta action will not delete any file, document or image on the system.
We rename a file that will allow us to start the Mac and create a new temporary user admin with the following commands:
- cd / var / db / and press [Enter].
- mv .AppleSetupDone .AppleSetupDone.old and press [Enter].
Then we can turn off the system with:
- shutdown -h [Enter] or if it does not restart with: reboot [Enter]
Creating New Temporary User With Administrator Privileges:
Next time you start the system will show us the classic screen after installation Welcome / Welcome representing the final stage of setup MacOS: we must proceed with caution, placing the system language, and other information including the data to the user temporary administrator; You will probably require information on secondary services such as iCloud, Apple Mail, etc.
We put all the information and we continue up to login with the new temporary user.
At this point, go to System Preferences -> Users and Groups , click on the padlock to enable the changes, select the administrator user on the left and click on “Change Password”
After the change, reboot the system and with users logghiamoci administrator original; then we return again in System Preferences -> Users and Groups , ablitiamo the changes by clicking on the padlock, select the temporary user and Eliminate it by clicking on the symbol ‘less’.
Now we just have to fix the keychain if compromised with the next step.
To Re-Create The Key Ring Here Are The Steps To Restore The Mac OS X Keychain Yosemite
To restore your key ring we can try to follow the following steps:
- Open Keychain Access, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.
- Menu Window select Keychain First Aid .
- Click Options …
- In the General pane, click Reset my keychain.
- Authenticate with the password to access your account.
- Quit Keychain Access.
- Restart the computer.